5 Easy Steps to Get in Shape for Good Health
You must maintain a well-balanced diet along with proper exercise if you want to get in shape and stay healthy. Here are 5 easy steps to get in shape to improve your overall health.
- Diet – Eating right is one of the best and most important way to get in shape and stay healthy. Following a nutritional diet tailored to meet your specific, individual nutritional needs will help you include a variety of foods in your diet and help you with portion control so that you consume the appropriate amount of calories that are right for your body.
- Increase your protein consumption by including lean meats like chicken, oily fish, eggs and low-fat dairy products in your diet.
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables as they are a great source of good carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Consuming a variety of fruits and vegetables will ensure you receive essential nutrients your body needs in order to stay in shape and function properly.
- Use healthy fats like olive oil and peanut butter.
- Reduce the amount of calories in your diet. Limit your calorie intake to no more than 400 calories per meal. Make sure they are healthy calories and not just empty calories.
- Eat 5 to 6 smaller meals daily instead of 3 big meals. For example breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, light snack.
- Water – Increase the amount of water in your diet. Drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water per day will help you reduce body fat and help you get in shape and stay healthy. Drinking plenty of water not only burns more calories, but it is very helpful in removing toxins from your body that are extremely harmful. It is a great cleansing agent.
- Strength-training – Many people believe that strength-training is only used for weight gain. This is not true. Strength-training exercises can help you lose weight and maintain a high metabolic rate long after you complete your exercise routine. Maintaining a high metabolism will result in burning more calories for a longer period of time, improve blood circulation and help keep your body get in shape for good health.
- Cardiovascular exercises – Including cardiovascular exercises in your regular fitness routine will help you lose weight and tone up your arm, leg and thigh muscles. Some effective cardiovascular exercises that will help your body get in shape for good health are:
- Bicycle riding
- Jumping rope
- Stair climbing
- Stress – Reducing stress can help your overall health. When you are experiencing stress, your body releases a stress-fighting hormone called cortisol. Some stress is good for your body, but chronic stress can cause a number of serious health diseases and conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, cancer, tension headaches, stomach problems, etc. Too much stress can also cause you to eat more, even when you're not hungry, which is commonly known as “stress eating”. This can cause you to eat foods with empty calories which will, in turn, eventually lead to unnecessary weight gain. Some ways to reduce stress include:
Additional Ways to Get in Shape for Good Health
- Diet supplements
Always consult with your physician before starting any diet or fitness plan to make sure it is the right plan for you.
Making smarter health choices and following these tips to get in shape and stay healthy will also help you lead a happier, healthier lifestyle. For more nutritional information on how to get in shape for good health, go to Healthy Diet Guidelines.